Whether you are delivering a multi-sport mega event or a local fair, you will need one or more event-time run sheets so that your staff and volunteers know where they should be, what they should be doing and when! To make sure that they know that, your run sheets need to be clear, collaborative, and up-to-date.
Fortunately, most of the important run sheet planning can be done well in advance of your event - leaving you and your team to just follow the schedules and make live updates where necessary.
Here are our 5 steps that you should take in advance of your event to make sure that your run sheets provide the clarity and accuracy that you need for a smooth event day.
- Procure software. Digital run sheets give you the flexibility to keep your schedules up-to-date. A digital solution does not need to be too costly if you are on a tight budget, and the ability to keep your team updated when things have to change will save you a lot more time, money and effort than it costs.
- Establish templates. What do you want your run sheets to look like and what information needs to be included? Think about what detail is necessary and what detail is not. Then, you can share them with your team - and you'll get a run sheet back in a useful and consistent format.
- Get input from your team / other functions. There are so many moving parts on event day: you need to know everyone's moments. Make run sheet planning a collaborative process, because on an event day no one is working in isolation.
- Consider dependencies. Estimate where you have room for flexibility in your event timings, and where you have none. Knowing your dependencies will allow you to act quickly when something gets delayed.
- Be ready to adapt. Event days are complex and things change rapidly: make sure you can adapt if you need to!
When you think of event operations, the first thing that jumps to mind is event day: the busy site, the over-worked event control room! However, a large amount of the most important work can be done well before event day comes. Follow these 5 steps and you'll arrive at event day with clear, collaborative and accurate run sheets.
WeTrack provides run sheets software for events and venues - ensuring that you can have those much-needed clear and up-to-date daily schedules. Get in touch to learn more, or watch a demo introduction to WeTrack.